This picture was taken on the 11th of May 1940. On this day, a bomb landed on Café Charlemagne, after being dropped by an English bomber.

Café Charlemagne has existed for over a 100 years. Located in a monumental building on the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein, the name is derived from Charles the Great. Otherwise known as Charlemagne, the king of the Carolingian empire visited his ‘court’ in Maastricht regularly. This was situated on the Vrijthof. Rumour has it, Charles and other local noblemen would discuss current political affairs of the city in the spot that currently houses Café Charlemagne.

Only a few knew that there was a secret “Tavern” already...